Invisalign® is a great orthodontic treatment that can finally give you the smile you have always wanted. However, there are different things you will need to do to care for your Invisalign aligners that are different from caring for braces or retainers. Those things include:
• Rinse your aligner: When you take your Invisalign aligner out, it is important that you rinse it with warm, clean water. If you refrain from doing so, the dry saliva and plaque in your aligner will promote the growth of bacteria, which could be very harmful and dangerous for your smile.
• Care for your teeth: Brush and floss your teeth before you put the aligner in your mouth every day. Doing so will help you avoid cavities and tooth decay. If you do not brush and floss regularly, the harmful food particles and bacteria can get trapped between the aligner and your teeth, increasing your risk for potential dental issues.
• Clean your Invisalign aligner: Make sure you clean your aligner every day. When you first begin your Invisalign treatment, you should receive the Invisalign Cleaning Kit. This will help you properly care for your aligner. If you do not have a cleaning kit, you can try to clean the aligner with clear, anti-bacterial soft soap, but make sure you talk to your orthodontist before doing so.
• Keep track of your appliance: It’s easy to lose the appliance when it is not in your mouth. So, please remember to keep track of the aligner. It is costly to replace.
• Remove the aligner: Make sure you remove the aligner from your smile before you eat and drink anything, except for water, of course. Many foods and drinks can stain and discolor the aligner, making it more noticeable.
If you would like to know more or if you have any questions, please feel free to give our office a call. Our Invisalign Orthodontists care for you and your smile, and we are more than happy to help you in any way we can. We look forward to hearing from you!