Besides the obvious esthetic difference, both braces and Invisalign treatment are two different journeys to the same destination, the smile you envision. Both have pros and cons, and the type of treatment you choose needs to be the treatment that best suits you or your child. Here at Nyberg Orthodontics, we treat individuals of all ages, and offer a wide variety of options to suit a wide variety of needs. As such, each treatment plan will have its pros and cons. When it comes to deciding between braces or Invisalign, here are a few things to consider.
Pros and Cons of Braces
- Because braces are glued on to your teeth with a medium strength glue, you cannot forget to wear them.
- The patient needs to be aware of their diet, and how they eat it. It is important to avoid different types of foods, or modify how other items are eaten. Otherwise broken brackets and appliances may occur, resulting in the possible need for an emergency visit.
- The brackets and wires that are in your mouth create the need to maintain a good brushing and flossing routine. This is essential because without this, a patient runs the risk of cavities (tooth decay), swollen gums (periodontal disease), or permanent marks (decalcification) of the teeth.
- Brackets and wires can at times cause irritation to the patient’s lips, cheeks or tongue. The team at Nyberg Orthodontics offers tips as to help you as the patient manage any discomfort that you may experience.
- Office appointments are approximately once every six to eight weeks apart, unless if there is a need for an emergency visit. These adjustment appointments at times may cause some tenderness as the teeth adjust to the new alignment that the wires are creating. Eating a soft diet and taking some acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) can help relieve the soreness that passes in a couple of days.
- Traditional braces have proven to be tried and true over the decades. Many an individual has an esthetic smile because of the orthodontic treatment that they have received.
Pros and Cons of Invisalign
- The patient wears a series of custom made, removable, clear aligners. Many individuals will not even notice you wearing the aligners. You may also remove the Invisalign aligners for special occasions, but be sure to wear them that night!
- You are able to maintain the same diet that you currently have. Just make sure that your aligners are removed prior to eating, drinking, and that you have clean teeth and aligners prior to reinserting your aligners.
- Brushing and flossing can be done normally as well, just don’t forget to clean your aligners as well. Maintaining a good oral hygiene routine through your treatment will help ensure that new decay or cavities are not created.
- Invisalign treatment is ideal for individuals that have busy schedules because office visits are approximately every six to ten weeks apart. It is only on a very rare occasion that an emergency visit would be needed. Office visits are typically shorter in length as well because the adjustments have already been created in each set of aligners.
- With each new set of aligners there is a small incremental adjustment, creating an overall treatment that is comfortable and well tolerated by patients.
- Nyberg has been working with Invisalign since 2006. Because of all of this training and experience, she is now considered a Gold Plus Provider. What does that mean for you as a patient? That means your treatment is in the hands of a very skilled Doctor that has the resources, skills, and experience to use several different techniques to help you achieve your envisioned smile.
- Remember the Invisalign aligners need to be worn to be effective.
Typically it takes about the same amount of time to complete treatment with either traditional braces or Invisalign. Because Nyberg Orthodontics wants each individual to choose the treatment that is best for you as the patient, the cost is the same for either braces or Invisalign. If you have any questions or are interested in a complimentary consult with Dr. Nyberg do not hesitate to contact our office at 603.749.2900. We look forward to hearing from you.